What is Cufon??

Discussion in 'Coding and Development' started by Chrissy Poo, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Chrissy Poo Active Member

Seen a few websites using Cufon recently, just wondering....

- What are the benefits?
    - Does it impact the SEO values of the site?
    - How easy is it to setup and is there an easy guide?
    - What's the browser compatibility like?

As you can see I have never touched Cufon so as much info as possible would be great :)
  2. websitehandyman Dr of Nonsense

More wordpress templates are using it, I don't know much about it but I do know I've had to download the cufon.js file at times because it's missing. It just replicate fonts not avilable to browsers don't it ? seems that way to me because each time the file and a font file is missing and I can find the file but never the font and I can't be arsed to create them. Seems a backward step to me in terms of compatability.

WordPress › WP-Cufon « WordPress Plugins
  3. makrin The Happy Snapper.

Cufon is a way of changing the font face without your visitor having to download any files. It's quite nifty actually; I use it on most of my sites.

As far I as I'm aware, it has no impact on SEO (I certainly haven't noticed any impact on my sites) In the JS you can simply tell it to replace anything with a defined variable to whatever js font file you have - if that makes sense?

It supports:
    * Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8
    * Mozilla Firefox 1.5+
    * Safari 3+
    * Opera 9.5+
    * Google Chrome 1.0+

And for further reading, pop on here -> Home - cufon - GitHub

Oh and setting it up couldn't be easier.
    Head on over to cufon - fonts for the people and upload the font you want to use. It will generate a font js file for you.
    Upload that along with the cufon-yui.js then reference them both in head using
    Code:
    <script src="cufon-yui.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script src="Vegur_300.font.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    Cufon.replace('h1');
    </script>

4. Chrissy Poo Active Member

I may have to give it a try on a test site, I will report back when I get stuck :D
  5. Google etc only reads the html, which remains unchanged, so SEO is not effected.

I tried Sirf at first, but the loading of the font/flash overlay was slightly delayed in testing - may have just been me lol
  6. makrin The Happy Snapper.

If you load a page heavily with cufon replaced fonts, you'll notice that IE takes a life-time to load it, but you can add some pre-load code magic to stop that from happening.
  7. I've seen whole pages of text replaced on their demonstration page, seems to work well.
  8. makrin The Happy Snapper.

Probably my machine that's fubar then :D
  9. makrin The Happy Snapper.

Any joy with cufon yet Chrissy Poo?
  10. Chrissy Poo Active Member

11. Chris Administrator

I have also used it in about 4 sites. Highly recommend it to everyone. :D
  12. I like Futura Light and Tahoma
  13. Chrissy Poo Active Member

Thank You I will have a look at them :)
  14. Chrissy Poo Active Member

Just to bring this topic back up again, I want to be using this as the main font on a site:

Code:
    font-family: "Lucida Grande","Lucida Sans Unicode",Arial,Verdana,sans-serif;
    Would you say that is browser friendly across most platforms or would you still use Cufon?

Thanks in Advance :)
  15. Visitors to your site are most likely to have 'up to date' browsers and most fonts already installed (ala MS Office). You've got Arial in there as a full back position, so looks good to me. Cufon is great for headings etc, that you want to work all the time, although I'm having IE6 issues with it.

In my experience, it is just as effective to have an jpg image with alt and <h1> with the actual text 'css positioned' off the page.