Joomla - This time of year

Discussion in 'Coding and Development' started by websitehandyman, Dec 20, 2011.

1. websitehandyman Dr of Nonsense

Yes folks it's that time of year again.

As per normal I've sent the last 12 months being told Joomla is better then Wordpress, although I understand WP is not perfect on a lot of levels. So fool as I am, I always have to look to see if the grass is really greener on Joomla side of the CMS fence.

I'm happy to report having spent most the day installing, configuring, uploading plugins, extensions and templates for an intended new Joomla site, yes I can confirm Joomla 1.7 going on 1.8 is still more flaky then my misses mince pies.
  2. Chrissy Poo Active Member

Never really got on with Joomla at all. Wordpress just seems to work for me :)

I still need to have a play with Fork CMS though!
  3. Siggles Member

I didnt like Joomla at all, especially if you take over a site and it is a mess. Impossible to find things quickly to be able to edit them.
  4. websitehandyman Dr of Nonsense

Yes, you know what that reminds me off whenever it falls to me ?

My old mom used to have an old tin box she used to throw all the old buttons in. But not just buttons ended up in there, old zips and cotton, wool ends, even importent letters, old stamps, badges, coins, jewellery, tokens... you name it it was in this box.

So often she would tell me to go and get something which was always fun because it was remarkable how many things came out that tin box by just by pulling on the end of one threads :) made a right mess at times........am I right ?
  5. Craig Administrator

I personally prefer WordPress, it just seems easier to use in the backend. :)
  6. spaceman Member

Wordpress it better than Joomla in my opinion, I hate the menu systems and it`s layout`s for Joomla it`s so un user friendly.

My day job is an SEO Consultant and I hate working with Joomla sites.
  7. I like Wordpress for simple sites. Couldn't use it on heavy duty sites though. It's too slow. It's good but I think the way it's built is not that efficient. Some other platforms will wipe the floor with it on speed.
  8. websitehandyman Dr of Nonsense

I don't think that's true, Wordpress is better suited to some types then others but not because of speed. I don't think you'll find a lot of difference from one semi CMS to another. Things like content,themes, plugins, widgets, servers and hosts make far more difference then the bare bones WP gives or another system. I've done sites in that past where when you move from page to page you don't even see the theme refresh just the text changes and because of the way it works the size of the site doesn't matter at all really.

You only wouldn't use it for major eCommerce really because, well like all open source based project the will always be a risk of hacking but really that similar to the nuclear fears of the 50s. It can happen but odds are it won't.
  9. Don't get me wrong I do like WP and if it's lightly loaded with plugins it's great. But as the many plugins go in I find there's an ever increasing querying time. Have to keep WP efficient and with a nice cache utility switched on - if possible. A client once told me that if it takes longer than 1 second to load he'll click away.
  10. websitehandyman Dr of Nonsense

I don't use a cache, never found one that works for long, I just use minify and some htaccess trick;

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/css text/javascript
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml application/xhtml+xml application/rss+xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript application/x-javascript
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
    BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresDefault A300
    ExpiresByType image/x-icon A2592000
    ExpiresByType application/x-javascript A3600
    ExpiresByType text/css A3600
    ExpiresByType image/gif A604800
    ExpiresByType image/png A604800
    ExpiresByType image/jpeg A604800
    ExpiresByType text/plain A300
    ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash A604800
    ExpiresByType video/x-flv A604800
    ExpiresByType application/pdf A604800
    ExpiresByType text/html A300
  11. Siggles Member

Having used both now a fair bit, Wordpress wins hands down, by a million zillion miles. :D
  12. jamie123 New Member

In my suggestion, I give the same preference to Joomla and Wordpress. These two content management systems have been lots of advantages with some issues. Caused by, there is we can’t expect high security from these frameworks. No matter which someone professional web Development Company has been expertly to create website by using all kinds of CMS.
  13. Joshua Quinlan Moderator

Definately agree. WordPress is better.